Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Carolyn Castleberry of CBN News spoke with one of the nation's top executive recruiters who says most are probably going about their job search the wrong way. Just as some of life's greatest lessons can be learned playing sports-- character, perseverance and teamwork-- they can also be translated to finding a job. The Power of WHO!
Scott Drew and Bob Beaudine-- who placed Drew in his job as a coach at Baylor University-- have succeeded with a unique and unusual approach called "The Power of Who."
Beaudine wrote the book on it.
Unleash The Power of WHO in your friends & family’s lives today!http://twitter.com/yougotwho
We’re going through life with the misconception that our dreams and goals can be accomplished without any help from others. Pity the people who think they don’t need coaches, teachers, mentors, parents, or friends to help and advise them. If you’re among that misguided group, I’ve got a news flash for you: We’re all “A Cup Short!”
The song “My Way,” made popular by Frank Sinatra, glorifies the philosophy of going it alone. But it’s just a song. It’s not real. Actually, Mr. Sinatra didn’t do it his way. Paul Anka wrote the song! There was also an arranger, an orchestra and conductor, a recording studio, a sound engineer, and a record company. It was a collaborative effort. In other words, there were lots of other people involved in helping Ol’ Blue Eyes do it “his way.” Sinatra was a great singer and gifted performer but without the help of others we may never have heard his voice.
The wise person understands that trying to go it alone is a sure way to run into insurmountable obstacles and costly mistakes! You and I need the special relationships we've been given not only to survive but thrive in this impossible world! Remember...You Got WHO! Don't go it alone--Reach Out and Re-Connect today!
Monday, August 24, 2009
When you’re daydreaming, where does your mind wander? Do you have a recurring dream? I‘ve asked these questions of countless executives over the years and the most common response has been, “I just don’t know.” They go blank. Just when they need direction, purpose and perspective, they come up empty.
Most Dream Job seekers never decide what they want to do in life. They’re bewildered by the multitude of choices which can cause them to lose hope in finding that “One Thing” they were meant to do. When that happens they commit a colossal blunder. They take just any job, with just any “Who.” Big Mistake!
Sunday, August 23, 2009
One of the BIG MISTAKES in life today is that most people never reach out for help, never lean on their “Who” in times of need. Not sure if you saw this YouTube w/ Bill Withers & USC Trojan Football Team last week. Love Bill's advice to the team:
"Don't lose sight of the comraderie that you have Now. The later you go in life--the less access you will have to 'this kind' of friendship."
“Sometimes in our lives, we all have pain; we all have sorrow
But if we are wise, we know that there’s always tomorrow
Lean on me when you’re not strong
I’ll be your friend; I’ll help you carry on,
For it won’t be long ’til I’m gonna need somebody to lean on.…”
As I reflected on this song, it occurred to me there have been many times in my life when I needed a friend to lean on. But there were many times when I chose the wrong somebody. Have you ever done that?
- Is it pride?
- Perhaps you’re afraid that your friends will see you as weak and needy. Big deal—we’re all weak and needy at one time or another!
- Perhaps you’re afraid your friends will reject you. But the problem with that kind of thinking is that it’s never true in reverse. You’re a real friend to your friends. If one of your friends came to you for help or advice, wouldn’t your heart be open to them? Of course it would! That’s what friends are for.
- Is it that we don’t want to let those closest to us know that we have problems? Hello! We all have problems! You know that, and your friends know it, too.
- You might be saying something to yourself like, “I’m not sure I have enough friends in my life who can or will help me.” Sure you do! Trust me, "You Got Who!” You just have to: Remember, Reach Out and Re-Connect.
Friends often come into our lives at just the right moment to help and encourage us to the next level. I don’t think that’s by chance. Every significant change in your life will involve your “Who.” They’re already there. Like the song says…
“For it won’t be long til I’m gonna need somebody to lean on!”
Watching the USC Trojan's friendship & team unity should worry opponents this year!
Friday, August 21, 2009
Ok, it's a Silly movie-But I liked it! Yes Man with Jim Carrey of course goes over the top on saying "Yes" to everyone. But...we all know "No" people and thats definitely Not working for them or their lives.
What if... we started saying "YES" to those we love? Actually helped them! Call it a test this weekend! You'll be amazed at the results!
Are you a "Yes" person?? Before you answer--ask yourself?
When your mate or close friends call: they're in a crisis-do you respond Yes/No?
How about simple requests-helping clean the kitchen, drop the kids at school, pick up something, give em a backrub, or just take a moment to listen? Yes/No?
Remember... "A True Friend will try to help you Right Now. When you call for help the answer is "YES!" A No Person...we know their response--they merely wish you well."
Unleash The Power of WHO in your friends & family’s lives today!
"YES!" is the New NO!
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Writing a book to encourage and inspire people about how to go for their dreams and goals has been a dream of mine for many years. I finally reached a time in my life when I gave myself permission to stop dreaming and start doing. In the process I learned the truth that we’re all created “A Cup Short” of greatness. Because in order to accomplish the formidable task of authoring this book I had to remember, reach-out, and re-connect with my “Who.”
I Love this movie and song: "Believe in what your heart is saying, Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste, There so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside,Give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need, if you just believe." The Polar Express-
Unleash the Power of WHO in your friends & family’s lives today!
Monday, August 17, 2009
The legendary band The Who remains to be one of the main images of WOODSTOCK and what it symbolized with their songs of generational revolution like "My Generation" and "Won't Get Fooled Again." They are now timeless. I still dig them!
But don’t miss the Great Lessons that can be learned from that historical weekend as it relates to your Search For Significance! The Who, Santana, Jefferson Airplane siezed on an opportunity that some totally missed! People miss simple clues that are right next to them! You and I need the ability to detect the clues life sets before us. On this rainy day, these 3 bands and others were asked on short notice to be in a documentary called "Woodstock” and although this decision didn’t seem all that important at the time—it turned out to be the Apex of their careers! Serendipity can appear in unlikely places and come from unexpected sources. Successful people are always expecting serendipity. I love the GK Chesterton quote: “The one thing in life that gives radiance above other things is that there is something great just around the corner.” Are you looking for it?!
On the other hand, many others at Woodstock like The Incredible String Band, refused to go on in the rain and missed the documentary shooting window even though they performed later. They didn't make the legendary film and missed out on the support/screen release that the others benefited from. As the Woodstock legend and movie grew, The Who by their performance and agreement to be in the documentary made them one of the leaders/anthems of change for generations to come. They’re now connected to that event forever and the images from that documentary continues to reach people, while others…unfortunately missed out!
Let’s review 7 Success Tips to assist you in your Search for Significance.
1. When confronted with an opportunity–Ask yourself-- is the Risk Worth the Reward?
2. Life is made up of “Moments and Choices.” Don’t miss yours!
3. Anyone on a great quest is looking for clues that will guide them! You’re closer than you think!
4. Your dream is the fire that energizes you toward your destiny. Don’t allow your own negative thinking to extinguish it!
5. Fear of failure keeps more people stuck in the status quo than anything else!
6. One of life’s great paradoxes is that by not deciding you’re making a decision. Step out!
7. Don’t be a fence sitter. When given an opportunity--Seize it!
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Is it possible that U once dreamed of living a different life from the one you're living now but just can't remember, something for which you're uniquely and wonderfully “wired?" Many of us have gotten sidetracked and forgotten our original dream. We’re so busy just dealing with job and life issues that we can forget some of the important things so essential to who we truly are.
If this is you—STOP IMMEDIATELY--call a “Who” Friend! What’s a “Who” friend? How can they help?
1. A “Who” friend will call a halt to fearful thinking by insisting you stop listening to your own negative self-talk. In the face of those lies they will start speaking truth about your accomplishments, and the truth about the value of your dreams and goals.
2. A “Who” friend will intercept you on the dark path you’ve taken and redirect your steps back on to the path of light. They know you, care for you, and will remind you that you have a future and
3. A “Who” friend knows your true identity and won’t let you forget it. When the “Power of Forgetfulness” tries to roll in—you need your “Who.”
The world will distract you! If you’re not careful, you will actually forget “Who you are” and end up with a second or third best identity. So:
Who are you? Who? Who? Who? Who?
You really want to know? Well, I believe you’re:
• A person who has a great destiny ahead!
• A Treasure chest of gifts and talents! U do 1 thing better than anyone in the world!
• A “Moment Maker”-An Unconditional Giver!
• A trusted & valued Grandpa/Grandma, Mom/Dad, Husband/Wife, Son or daughter.
• An inspirational mentor-coach-teacher-best friend-mate-counselor,& spiritual adviser.
• A Somebody! Not just Anybody!
• A Great friend! You listen, celebrate, forgive & encourage those around you.
• You’re a Lover! It’s who you are-& that includes loving yourself!
Unleash the Power of WHO in your friends & family’s lives today!
You make a Difference!
To Learn more: check out The Power of WHO
Post your comments at my blog at http://powerofwho.blogspot.com
Follow me on TWITTER http://twitter.com/yougotwho